Commercial Real Estate Development
Real Estate Development is an essential function of a nation’s growth, requiring talented entrepreneurs and professionals with a vast range of different skills.
Whether you are actively involved in development or this forms a key part of your work, an understanding of its interrelationship is critical to achieving a positive outcome. Only by understanding the wider picture can more value be added to your own skills, the company or service to your client.
Real Estate Development is complex in its formation and delivery. The interrelationship and sophistication of the property development industry requires a deeper understanding of public policy, physical planning, municipal regulation, market research, the legal framework, site appraisal, economic evaluation, financial arrangements, contractual procedures, building design, construction techniques and marketing.
This course will ask the questions as to when, what and how development is initiated by use of case studies, development models, interactive play and discussion.
Over the two days the programme will take you through the journey from site selection through to completion.
It will look at how companies, funds & clients assess the project and the risk profile. The course will be run by harden developers and Industry professionals with considerable experience on all sectors of the market and will be able to impart valuable practical advise.
This course will educate the delegate on risk management, finance, legal, regulatory, bureaucratic and practical aspects of the development process. It will include viability assessment techniques and inputs acting complimenting the Real Estate Developer module that shows delegates how to appraise projects in Excel. It provides an understanding of the inputs to appraisal techniques and the management of projects in terms of time, quality, cost and asset value.
The course is UK based, with an international outlook.
On this course you will:
- Gain an insight into the Development Process at a Macro & Micro level
- Learn where development sits within the Real Estate Market
- Learn what constitutes Development physically and economically
- Understand the various agencies involved in the Development Process
- Learn the different characteristics of Real Estate Sectors
- Learn an insight into the principles of design for different types of project.
- Learn How to look and access opportunities.
- Learn how to put together a feasibility study and prepare a financial plan
- Benchmark returns and understand the risks throughout the life of the project
- Learn how to mitigate risks.
- An understanding of the team dynamics, their inputs and agenda’s
- Learn research techniques that support each stage in the development process
- Negotiate with your peers to problem solve a project crisis
Who will benefit from this course?
- New employees in large team expansions who need to work together, following a shared vision, and hit the ground running
- Portfolio managers who would like to understand and manage their company’s exposure to risk in mega projects
- Senior executives who would like a better understanding of their Real Estate Development team
- Lenders and investment partners who would like a better understanding of how their money is used and the risks involved
- Graduate students looking to work in corporate real estate development
- Analyst and modellers who would like to improve their understanding of project variables and quantify risk
- Professional who are new, undergoing training within a Development Organisation
- Real Estate Professionals who would like to update their skills in latest practices in Development
- Professionals practicing in an associated field, Legal, Planning, Managing, Agency, Owners and Financiers
- Managers who would like to communicate more effectively with investors and owners during the formation phases of development
- Suppliers to the Industry to help them quantify and communicate how their product can add value
- The Real Estate Market System
- Development Models
- The Economics of Development
- Profiles of Developers
- Risk and Rewards of different types of project
- Who builds what and why?
What to Develop
- Use looking for a site
- Site looking for a use
- Planning inputs
- Best Use Value
- Viability Assessments
- Worth vs Value
- Market Analysis
- Design Principals
- Time line and risk profile
A Macro View
- External influencers
- Development pressure and Prospects
- Disposal of Development
Parties to Development & Agendas
- Owners, Tenants, Public Sector
- Development Team
Classroom-based: £1,000 +VAT
Online: £750 +VAT
Number of days: Two days
Course type: Strategy
How to Book
Available Methods of Delivery